Mount Vernon Community Children’s Theatre is seeking a part time (20 hour a week on average) Managing Director, who will lead the organization into its future and develop a robust organizational structure.
Position Summary: The Managing Director (MD) reports directly to the Board of Directors and is responsible for conceiving, developing, and implementing the artistic vision and focus; as well as the everyday operation, of Mount Vernon Community Children’s Theatre. The MD ensures the high caliber of MVCCT’s productions, educational programs, camps and workshops. The MD provides leadership for the organization in partnership with staff and board of MVCCT.
Collaboration and Leadership: The Managing Director oversees staff, teaching artists, designers, and technicians to create exemplary productions and programs that entertain and educate. The MD serves as the production coordinator for all productions, provides oversight and guidance to production staff, technical staff and production volunteers. The MD works with the board to achieve MVCCT’s organizational strategic goals.
Artistic Vision: The Managing Director oversees the selection of each season’s productions, and the focus of educational programs, youth camps and classes. The MD develops new artistic, educational and outreach programs that are in line with MVCCT’s mission and supports their highest quality implementation.
Education and Outreach: The Managing Director develops, implements, and oversees all educational programming including summer camp. The MD participates in hiring teaching staff and advises regarding managing staff, students, and communication with parents. The MD reaches out to the community to create ongoing relationships and compatible programming.
Communications: The Managing Director develops and approves communications about the theater including language for programs, web pages, outreach and fundraising materials.
Administrative, Planning and Fundraising: The Managing Director supports other MVCCT employees. Assists in developing the annual budget by identifying production, camp, and class needs. Leads fundraising activities and events, including grant writing.
HOW YOU KNOW IF YOU CAN DO THE JOB:
· You have experience in theater production, and directing theatrical performances
· You have supervised professional staff and volunteers
· You possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and a passion for sharing the performing arts with the greater community
· You are organized and creative, able to work under deadlines and on a limited budget
· You are a highly motivated self-starter who enjoys helping organizations grow and develop
· You are aware of, and committed to, practices that expand diversity, equity and inclusion
YOU MIGHT ALSO HAVE:
· Experience designing and implementing a fundraising plan; letter writing, grant writing and/or event management
· Experience working at a non-profit theater, TYA company, or in Children’s Theater
· Experience in planning and organizing a theatrical season
· Experience on stage in the performing arts and/or in any aspect of technical theater
· Bachelor’s degree in theater, education, or a related field
HOW YOU KNOW IF MVCCT IS THE RIGHT FIT FOR YOU:
· You regularly demonstrate strong self-motivation, strategic thinking, and the ability to work independently
· You have awesome project management skills, with a knack for working backwards from deadlines and can deal with curve balls thrown at your work plan
· You have keen attention to detail, a love of creating and adhering to organizational systems, and aren’t satisfied until you have produced a high-quality work product
· You are reliable and a friendly communicator who reaches out and follows-up with professional persistence
· You are a creative thinker and willing to test out new ideas
· You are committed to MVCCT’s core values